Zak Hale has done a lot at such a young age. From being invited to the Nixon Jibfest and the X Games to traveling around the world with pros he’s looked up to for years, the kid’s got clout and he’s only getting started.
1. What have been the highlights of your season so far?
Filming for the Burton video for sure, just traveling with friends and getting to snowboard.
2. What is the funniest/weirdest thing you have ever seen on snow at Bear Mountain?
Dual snowboards, hands down.
3. Who are your favorite people to travel with?
Ethan Deiss, we’re always on the same program: snowboarding and chilling.
4. >When you drive around looking for urban spots, what features stand out to you?
Anything that looks rideable. It’s funny because when you are done with a trip and go home, you are so used to finding spots that you seem to find yourself doing it even when you are at the beach or something.
5. What was it like being invited to the Nixon Jibfest?
It was one of the coolest things I have ever done. I remember when the one at Bear Mountain happened I just wanted to be a part of it so bad and see all my favorite snowboarders. Then years down the road I was one of those riders who got invited, so the feeling was really special to me.
6. What is your favorite non-snowboarding place to travel to?
I really like SoCal, it’s home for me.
7. How was your first experience at the X Games?
Crazy! I never thought I would do that. Watching as a kid growing up, then being part of it was insane. Just another one of those things from when I was kid that seemed like I was reaching for the stars and then finally I got to do it.
8. What was the most nerve-wracking feature you hit this season?
A down-flat-down in Alaska. Everything about it was gnarly and I just kind of knew I was going to get smoked, which I did.
9. What do you think the life of Zak Hale would be like if you grew up in Jackson Hole instead of Bear Mountain?
I don’t know, I’ve always thought about that. Bear Mountain made me into who I am today. Without that place I feel like my snowboarding would be going in a completely different direction.
10. What riders influenced you the most growing up?
Probably Jeremy Jones and all the Robot Food dudes. Watching those guys always got me so excited to go snowboard.
11. What was the highlight of going to Slovenia with Marko and Ethan?
It was my first time to Europe and now going back to Europe and to other countries seems pretty mellow, haha.
12. What is the best thing about dating another pro snowboarder?
We understand what we do. And we both share a common interest.
13. What do you have planned for the rest of the season?
I’m in Europe right now with Analog, maybe do one more shoot then just kind of hang for a few!